Updated: 31 May 2011
Traditional Dutch dancing (Folkloristisch)
National and General Organizations
Traditional Dance Descriptions, Videos, Costumes
Local groups, by province
British, Irish & American Traditional Styles:
English Country, New England Contra, Morris,
Scottish Country, Scottish Highland, American Squares, Irish, Misc. American
International Folk Dance & Miscellaneous Styles
National and General Organizations
Local Groups, by Province
Dre - Fle - Fri - Gel - Gro - Lim - NB - NH - Over - Utr - Zee - ZH
Outside the Netherlands
Contact info; how to list your group
NATIONAL AND GENERAL ORGANZATIONS:
van Folkloristische Groepen in Nederland (FFGN)
Website now lists over 70 Dutch folkloristic organizations plus 7 children's groups. Also articles (in Dutch) on history of traditional Dutch dancing. Nationale Folkloredag in September.
-- Platform Nederlandse Folklore organizes and promotes events with Dutch traditional dancing. It works with the Landelijk Centrum Amateurdans, Nederlands Centrum Volkscultuur, Nederlandse Kostuum Vereniging, Federatie van Folkloristische Groepen in Nederland and others. The Platform has a newsletter, dance series, and Annual Platform Day, with performances and an evening ball.
-- Nederlands Centrum voor Volkscultuur offers information and answers questions on traditional Dutch folklore, particularly to help immigrants learn Dutch history and customs.
Toverbal promotes folkloristic dancing and publishes dance
dances online (in Dutch).
MORE TRADITIONAL DANCE DESCRIPTIONS, VIDEOS, COSTUMES
* Expert teacher Elsche Korf publishes
the website "Information on Traditional Dutch Dances." She
dance descriptions (in English), sheet music,
sound files for several dozen dances, as well as info on books,
supplies dance descriptions for a dozen Dutch dances, mostly written in
French but also some in English and Dutch. Music available on request.
* More written
traditional Dutch dances (written
in language shown) :
Boerenplof (in German); in Dutch
Riepe Riepe Garste (in English)
Slaapmuts (in English)
If you know of other descriptions of Dutch dances on the Web, please tell me.
on-line of traditional Dutch dances:
has videos of De Schaop'ndansers performing: Veleta, Drentse
Schrittwals, 't Schip moet zeilen, Leg je hand in mijn hand, De Schoenlapper, Driekusman, Joep, Kruispolka,
Sankt Bernhardswals. Through the Dancilla Wiki they attempt to offer videos, descriptions, and sheet music together.
* Youtube has some videos of traditional Dutch dancing (and other folkdancing); experiment with their Search box.
* Google Videos is another
tool to search for videos.
* Search on klederdrachtgroep
for groups that sew traditional costumes.
Fabric Dutch Costume Kits - for traditional Dutch dancing.
& fabric. A US company.
* De Gelderse Roos in Wageningen - historical costumes.
LOCAL GROUPS, TRADITIONAL DUTCH DANCING, BY PROVINCE
British, Irish and American styles
English Country and New England Contras
contradans en zang
Each autumn, 3 evenings of English & American contradancing and folksong in Groenhoven 650, Amsterdam Zuidoost. In 2011: 16 Sept, 14 Oct, and 18 Nov. Live music from Triple Time. €9 once or €24 for 3x. For more info, contact Aartje Vink, 020 695 5825 or Mary Anink.
* New England Dansavond with band Hobson's Choice and caller Philippe Callens. To be notified of dances, e-mail Mik Lammers, or tel. 06-27132235.
Folkdancing from England, Scotland and America. See their Web page Volkdansvereniging NVS for where to dance. NVS members receive a newsletter with complete info on English, Scottish and American dancing around the country, both regular series and special events. Special activities organized by NVS include a Sunday English series in Utrecht, several Family Weekends, a Christmas course, and a summer camp week.
* Engels Contra with dance group Ankum in Heino.
* The Volksdans Vereniging Leeuwarden has one hour of English country, Morris, and sword dancing each Wednesday evening, taught by Margo Korf.
* De Hofstaddansers dance English contras in Rijswijk, near the train station. Third Tuesday of the month (except summer). 20:00-22:30. Tel. Afke 070 386 6475.
* Vodawiko organizes English and Scottish dancing in Eindhoven.
* Rural Felicity offers English and Scottish country dancing in Eindhoven. For details see NVS or telephone 040 284 1049.
- Morrisdansgroep Helmond in Noord Brabant.
- Morris in Utrecht has info on three Morris teams:
The Utrechts Morris Team in Utrecht
Maids of the Mill, a women's team in Utrecht
Bean Setting Jacks, a youth team in Zeist
#Scottish Country Dance
sites have lists of Scottish Country Dance Groups
in the Netherlands:
--- Rowan Tree
--- Celtic Circle
--- Grand Chain
Groups that are
included on these lists are:
- Amsterdam/Amstelveen SCD group
- Royal Scottish Country Dance Society Delft Branch
- RSCDS The Hague District Branch
- The Clansmen SCDG, Den Haag
- The Thistle Club, Eindhoven
- White Heather SCDG, Geldermalsen
- Schiehallion SCDG, Roosendaal
- The Swilcan SCDG, Utrecht
- The Rowan Tree Dancers, Vaassen/Heerde (now includes "The Frisky")
- St Andrews Society of the Netherlands, Wassenaar
* Scots Heritage has at least two Ceilidhs per year, Groningen area.
* Carieke's School of Highland Dancing, Zuidlaren. Teacher Mrs. Carieke Cazemier-Pol.
Highland Dancing Nederland, W. Remmelts, Den Haag. Tel.:
* Scots in Assen.
* Highland Dancing Group 'Dutch Pipes & Drums' in Tilburg.
Hooglanders HHPB Bagpipe & drum band, Den Haag.
are over 30 Scottish pipe bands listed at Nederlandse Organisatie van
#American Square Dancing
These sites list the clubs for "Modern Western Square Dance" and also Round Dancing:
* The European Association of American Square Dancing. Find its list of Dutch clubs (Country NL)
* NVSD (Nederlandse Vereniging van Square Dansers)
* Dutch Square Dance Foundation, site of caller Erik Pluylaar of Amersfoort.
* The Club
Database at Vic and Debbie Ceder's Square Dance Resource Net
* The Irish
Club Dancers of the Irish Club in Den Haag.
School of Irish Dancing.
Competitions, displays, workshops, lessons in Wassenaar, Leidschendam,
Rotterdam, and Amsterdam. Step dance and ceili for adults and children.
Performance group Kyra.
* Kilkenny School of Irish Dance
in Den Haag and Wassenaar.
* MacSuibhne Rinceori (Mc Sweeney Dancers), Irish set, ceilidh & step-dancing. Info: Peter-Paul van den Boomen, 0347-320316. Also, performance on 2nd Mondays at Mulligans, Amstel 100, Amsterdam. tel.: 020-6221330. (Also see Trad. Celtic page)
* Traditional Celtic Music & Dance in Nederland lists current info on Irish dancing at half a dozen locations.
* Liedewijde Mars of Utrecht teaches Irish set-, celi-, and stepdancing. If interested, call 030 280 0462
* Dhamsa na nog Wilmar Remmelts in Den Haag. Offers school for Irish dance, and also competitions.
Seamrog rince gasra Marieke Trienekens-Pellens
- De Werkschuit in Zeist, with Annette van der Steen.
- Centrum voor de Kunsten, Eindhoven. (Search on <ierse>)
* Celtic Swing Marijke van Schaik in Vlaardingen
* European Irish Dancing Schools & Groups lists a dozen locations and resources, including Irish and Celtic festivals in the Netherlands.
* Irish Folk Club and Jarno's Irish Dance School in Almere.
* Irish dance costumes by Lowland Design in
Misc. American styles
* Cajun & Zydeco in the Netherlands, Cajun music and dancing.
of Country & Western Line Dance clubs
offer workshops and demonstrations. (I must point out this is NOT
a traditional folk dance.)
Volksdans.startpagina.nl is a large collection of folk dance links in the Netherlands, with a bulletin board of announcements at Prikbord van Volksdans.pagina.nl
MORE LISTS OF FOLK DANCE GROUPS, EVENTS, AND RESOURCES IN THE
De Folklore Pagina
It appears that Kunstfactor
(formerly LCA), a division of Kunstfactor, the
arts, has a more limited role in
folk dance in the Netherlands than before. Check the site for what they
offer and sponsor.
Volksdans has been working for several years on the best ways
folk-dancing in the Netherlands.
Werelddansplein Dol op Dans has info for dance groups in Friesland, Groningen, and Drenthe.
CIOFF sponsors folk dance festivals around the world, including the Netherlands. The local representative is Han de Jong, PO Box 250, 6440 AG Brunssum. Tel. 045 527 4141 and fax 045 527 5260.
Israelidance.com lists Israeli dancing in 8 locations: Almere, Amsterdam (7 different sessions), Haarlem, Hilversum, Nijmegen, Nootdorp, Utrecht, Zaanstad, and Zeist.
Stichting Volksmuziek Nederland Folk instruments and song. Not much on folkdancing but many good folk music links.
For folk festivals in the Netherlands, see the F-Roots Festivals List for continental Europe.
Stichting Nevofoon in Winschoten sells CDs, books, shoes, etc for international folkdance.
Syncoop Productions of Schiedam provides CDs and other materials for international folk dance music.
WebRing voor volksdans, folklore & volksmuziek in Nederland describes a dozen Internet sites.
Mundo Etnico offers material and courses on the children's folklore of Oceania.
Download international dance tunes at Muziek Archief MusiCAD .
Folkdance workshops and weekends at De Uelenspieghel in Drenthe.
Tineke van Geel organizes folk dance tours.
The DOINA Foundation for Romanian ethnography runs dance events and tours
Wereldmuziekplein lists resources for "world music"
Folk -- an innovative new form of social folk dance, using
steps and live music. Two dozen locations around the Netherlands.
kinderen - find children's groups in your area
Stichting Rolstoeldansen Nederland
for wheelchair dancing in various styles including folk. 150 groups and
a teacher certification program.
trains teachers of folkdance in MBvO (Meer Beweging Voor Ouders).
Volksdansen.hyves.nl -- a
good place to chat and share photos.
lists over 25 locations to learn Indian dance, bharata natyam.
World lists Salsa dance schools in the Netherlands.
Drenthe -- Flevoland -- Friesland -- Gelderland -- Groningen -- Limburg -- Noord-Brabant -- Noord-Holland -- Overijssel -- Utrecht -- Zeeland -- Zuid-Holland
Anglo-American Dance Service - English and American contra
in Flanders (northern Belgium), including series in Gent and Antwerp,
weekends, an international dance calendar, and mail-order books &
Contra Dancing in Switzerland
- Barn Dance with Katja Hunn in Zurich.
Contra Dances in Germany - ECTA Contra & Traditional. Regular and occasional dances are offered by Square Dance clubs. See also Hohenlohe Hoppers Ãƒâ€“hringen and SRRS.
Non-US/Canada Contra Dance Links Where to find contra dancing (New England style)outside North America. Includes hard-to-find info like Switzerland. Maintained by Charlie Seelig.
Cologne (Keulen/KÃƒÂ¶ln) Scottish Country Dancers
Scottish Highland Dancing in Bochum, Germany
Folksy Links! Folk Bands and Musicians for European folk music.
Belgium such as
WereldDansFestival In Edegem. Yearly, August.
World Festival of Folklore in Schoten. Yearly, July.
Internationaal Folklorefestival Westerlo. Yearly, August.
Webfeet: Dance contacts on the Web. Look here for major European folk dance websites, plus US & UK.
NEFFA Linkfest Large collection of links on folk-dancing worldwide, especially USA
Folk Dance Association, with directory of all groups in the US and Canada
The Institute of Historical Dance (Baroque, etc.) in Belgium.
Vitrifolk in Belgium has many folkdance links including Belgian clubs and Dutch groups.
To add your folkdance group to
lists, please send an email to me at:
Name of group
Town in which it meets
Web page URL
The URL for this page is: http://www.euronet.nl/~trio/